Here we are at Thanksgiving.
It should be a day to reflect on what we are thankful for, to rest and relax before we begin the next holiday season, to spend some quality time in the garden in autumn.
But some people won’t rest and relax. They will pull out that big, thick stack of ads that came with the morning paper and start plotting their shopping strategy for Black Friday. Others will jump up from the table after eating and begin pulling out boxes and bags of Christmas decorations, sweeping aside any remnant of Thanksgiving that might have existed for a fleeting minute or two.
And this has raised the ire of the…
The Thanksgiving Thumper is a close relative of the Halloween Hare, the Christmas Cottontail, and Bountiful Bunny but feels quite left out of things. He is not happy that many people take down Halloween decorations and immediately replace them with Christmas decorations. He is less than pleased when Thanksgiving is turned into a planning day for Christmas shopping.
He feels nearly powerless to change things, but he’s stubborn and will not go away easily. He wants people to enjoy Thanksgiving as Thanksgiving. He wants people to slow down and not get caught up too soon in the frenzy of the Christmas season.
He offers five suggestions to honor Thanksgiving:
– Enjoy a meal with family and friends and take it nice and slow. No fighting over the homemade noodles, no trying to rush the main meal so you can get to the chocolate cream pie first. (Note: If you have an aunt or sister who gardens, as a way of showing appreciation, please allow her as many noodles and as much chocolate cream pie as she wants.)
– Hide the Black Friday shopping ads. Who needs those deals and those crowds? I can guarantee if you go shopping at your local garden center tomorrow, you’ll find all you need for yourself and family, and there will be no crowds.
– Spend some time outside after lunch enjoying the last of autumn by taking a walk, or engaging in more vigorous activities like chopping wood, raking leaves or mowing the lawn.
– Eat, eat a lot. Do not diet. The Thanksgiving Thumper abhors those who try to diet on Thanksgiving.
– Leave the Christmas decorations in storage until another day. In fact, consider leaving them in storage for several more days, at least until the leftover turkey is all eaten.
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone from the Thanksgiving Thumper at May Dreams Gardens.