You might be a gardening geek on the Fourth of July if…
1. When you go to buy fireworks, you are naturally inclined to get those with names like Blue Palm, Morning Glories, or anything that ends in ‘Fountain’.
2. You are disappointed to find out that your local mulch store is closed for the day, like it is some kind of holiday. Bonus points if you thought ahead and got your mulch the day before.
3. Your family is waiting in the car for over ten minutes ready to go to the park, the beach, or the pool while you are watering “just one more plant”.
4. You wear your favorite patriotic shirt which features an American flag with flowers. Bonus points if someone else thought you were a geeky enough gardener to buy it for you.
5. You planted all red, white, and blue flowers in your front garden so it would look good for the holiday. Bonus points if you moved containers around from other places to group your red, white, and blue flowers together for the day.
6. You try to convince your family that zucchini casserole, zucchini pie, grilled zucchini, marinated zucchini, and zucchini bread is a well-balanced meal for a 4th of July picnic, because you suddenly realized you may have planted too many hills of zucchini, again, and that’s all you are harvesting from the garden this early.
7. Your neighbors were shooting off fireworks on July 3rd and you tried to take a picture of them because you thought it would be nice to include a picture of fireworks on your garden blog post for the 4th of July. Bonus points if you took a good picture.
8. You went to a local fireworks show, where people were sitting and walking on the grass, and all you could think of was “who is going to repair this lawn when all these people leave?”
9. You wake up to find it is raining on the 4th and your biggest disappointment is that you have this day off in the summer and now you can’t do anything in the garden like you had planned.
10. You are in denial that it is already July 4th because you still have half a flat and several pots of spring-purchased plants that you haven’t planted yet.
11. Your favorite patriot who signed the Declaration of Independence is Thomas Jefferson, because he had the best garden. Bonus points if you have visited Monticello.
12. You are grateful to live where having a vegetable garden of your own is for your own pleasure and not essential to ensuring you have food on your table year around.
13. You had enough time to include links to all the other Gardening Geek posts on your 4th of July Gardening Geek post because did I mention it is raining here at May Dreams Gardens?
I’ll stop at 13, in honor of the thirteen original colonies of these United States.
God Bless America and have a safe and happy 4th of July!
Other signs you might be a Gardening Geek:
Fireworks over May Dreams Gardens.Someone has been shooting off these kinds of fireworks all week.
Did I mention it is raining here at May Dreams Gardens?This is the best I could do for pictures of red, white and blue flowers.
And because it is raining I even had time to find a classic rendition of “God Bless America” for you to enjoy.
God Bless America and all the gardening geeks enjoying today in or out of their gardens!