You might be a gardening geek if…
1. You get to the grocery store and realize you’re wearing a pair of garden clogs instead of regular shoes. Bonus points if you own more than one pair of clogs for gardening.
2. You have at least ten empty clay pots in your garage or shed right now. Bonus points if you always have potting soil on hand, “just in case”.
3. You go to baseball games primarily to admire the grass in the outfield. Bonus points if the only version of Monopoly you own is Garden-opoly.
4. Your friends are always telling you, “I was at the hardware store and saw a hoe and thought of you and wondered if you had one like it.” Bonus points if you have more than one hoe.
5. You always visit the garden department whenever you go to a store that has one, regardless of why you went to the store in the first place. Bonus points if you visit garden centers in other cities when you are on vacation. And even more bonus points if you’ve ever helped another customer in a garden center or garden department just because there was no one around to help them.
6. You would consider canceling an overnight business trip because it looks like your night blooming cereus might bloom while you are gone. Bonus points if you have at least one houseplant in a container that measures at least 18 inches across.
8. You’ve spent more than
$10, $20, $30 on one trowel. Bonus points if you bought the matching hand cultivator.
9. Your front right jean pocket is frayed on nearly every pair of jeans you own because you wear a clip-on holster to hold your Felco pruners. Bonus points if you have ever realized you were still wearing the holster hours after you had come in from the garden.
10. You own more than one copy of a Rodale book on Organic Gardening. Bonus points if they are just different editions of the same book.
How do you measure up? Give yourself one point for each question that you found yourself nodding and saying “yes, that’s me”. If you score 1 – 5 points, you’re on your way to becoming a true gardening geek; 5 or more points, you are definitely a gardening geek (or is it “garden geek”?)
If you got any of the bonus points, you are automatically a gardening geek, don’t deny it!
Still not convinced that you are a gardening geek? Look right now. Do you have grass stains on your pants?
I rest my case.
And no, not all of these apply to me. I’ve never worn my garden clogs to the grocery store. Really!
Are there any other signs that someone might be a gardening geek? (Other than “you might be a gardening geek if you write a blog post about signs of a gardening geek”?)
Update: See this post for 15 more signs!