My therapist suggested that I should think about some hobbies other than gardening to balance out my life. I gave it some consideration and then decided “why not”? It might be fun to do something other than gardening, especially during the cold, snowy, icy, dark winter months.
Here are ten hobbies other than gardening that I’m considering…
1. Stamp collecting. I could collect stamps with plants on them, like the holiday stamps I bought this year. I’m sure I could find stamps with flowers, vegetables and other botanical delights on them, too.
2. Counted cross-stitch. Back in the day, I did my fair share of counted cross stitch. I could take it up again, albeit with some good reading glasses, and make a pillow with a saying on it, perhaps a saying like “We can have flowers nearly every month of the year.” by Elizabeth Lawrence.
3. Cooking. I could specialize in cooking that involves the vegetables I grow in the garden, maybe branch out to canning and freezing them.
4. Model Railroading. Wouldn’t it be fun to set up one of those miniature railroads out in the garden somewhere? I could plant all kinds of miniature plants and arrange mini landscapes around the tracks.
5. Fishing. I could dig a few worms out of the garden, catch some fish, and then bury the fish heads in and around the corn for fertilizer, the way the Indians did.
6. Sewing. Ha ha. My sisters are laughing over this one. I never “took” to sewing. I’m not sure what I’d make – maybe quilts? I’ll bet there are all kinds of floral fabrics to choose from.
7. Apron Collecting. Do you think I could collect aprons with flowers on them, maybe make it a goal to find aprons with the various state flowers on them? Or maybe I could find some aprons made out of old seed sacks?
8. Scrapbooking. Oh, yes, I could make scrapbooks for all my gardens and include pictures of all the plants. The scrapbooks would be sort of a catalog of the garden.
9. Tropical Fish. As a bonus, I could grow aquatic plants!
10. Basketball. Well, I wouldn’t play basketball, I’d just watch it and notice all the subliminal messages about gardening.
Yes, Dr. Hortfreud?
I’ve been looking at your list of other hobbies.
What do you think?
I think you’d better just stick with gardening as a hobby.