I like to walk through the garden in that last bit of daylight before the sun dips below the horizon. It’s that time of the day when the garden isn’t brightly lit by the sun, but there is still just enough light to see it.
One of my aunts used to refer to this time of day as the gloaming, when you see the garden in the glow of the setting sun.
And my favorite day of the week to do be out in the garden at this time is Sunday. In warmer weather, I can lie in the hammock and relax as the weekend comes to a close. I figure if chores and tasks and to do items aren’t done by then, they should be set aside for another day. I prefer to use the last hours of the weekend to finally unwind before the week starts anew on Monday.
Because this Sunday was both a sunny day and a relatively warm day with temperatures in the high 30’s, low 40’s, I took advantage of the last bit of light to stroll around the garden to make sure all was well.
All seemed well until…
“I scared me up a rabbit.”
He was lying where some Coreopsis grows, near the edge of the grape arbor. Here’s his spot, or maybe her spot.
When the rabbit saw me, he took off running toward the vegetable garden. I chased after him and he turned and headed toward the neighbor’s yard.
Let’s just call this picture “Abstract of Bunny Running”. It appears my bunny troubles are not behind me.
I wonder what this rabbit has been eating? I read somewhere that rabbits eat 90% grass and the other 10% of their diet is plants we don’t want them to eat like beans, peas, strawberries, tomatoes, blueberries, lettuce, spinach, and pretty much anything I plant in the garden and don’t cover with a cloth to keep them out.
If that is true, then one would think that I would never have to mow the back yard. But I do.
I guess I can’t deny my rabbit problem and and it is time to prepare for my annual battle against them. Here’s my plan…
– I’ll set the live trap out early this spring to see if I can lure them in when they are really hungry. And I’ll make sure the trap doors are tightly closed before I carry the bunnies away in it.
– I’m checking my supply of garden cloth to make sure I have enough to cover all the beds that I’ll need to cover this spring.
– I’m going to get some more big containers of cayenne pepper. This seems to help some to keep the rabbits from eating the plants I can’t cover.
– I’m considering planting onion sets around every raised bed. I’ve heard that rabbits won’t cross a row of onions. Does anyone know if this is true?
In case you are wondering, I am not considering getting a dog or an outdoor cat, fencing in the garden or using any foul smelling commercial products.
But I am open to other suggestions.
Now, guess what I did last night to keep the rabbit from coming back and laying in that spot? No! Not that! I just kicked it all around and messed it up good. It seemed to work because I checked this evening and the rabbit hasn’t been back to that spot nor did I find him or any other rabbits anywhere else in the garden.
Take that rabbit, I mean business this year!