My intention this spring was to complete just one major project, which was to renovate a perennial bed that wraps around the patio and extends across the back of the house. I posted about that project here and here, and a few other times. Many people suggested that I add some kind of garden statue or feature in the inset of the patio. A great idea! I’m still trying to figure out what that should be. But as you can tell from the picture above, I clearly have some time to shop for a garden feature before the ground dries out and I’ll be able to dig out the perennials, amend the soil and replant.
I thought I was getting close on this ground being tillable, but then we had a big storm move through this afternoon and dump all kinds of rain and hail on us. And as the storm moved on to the east, it took with it our spring temperatures in the 70’s and left behind expected highs in the 50’s. We could even have some snow flurries in a few days, and we will have a few frosty mornings.
In the meantime, as you may recall from some other posts, while I was waiting for this area to dry out, I got all rambunctious and cut back that whole row of spireas along my front side walk. I posted about it here, and a few other times, and votes were like 20 – 0 to not let them grow back there, and to re-do that bed. I agree on moving the shrubs and am ready to re-do that area, I just hadn’t quite planned to do it at the same time I was working on the other perennial bed. I’m now referring to this as my accidental project.
Ever feel like you are digging yourself a big hole and it keeps getting deeper? Wait, we’re gardeners, of course we dig holes and they get deeper, that’s the whole idea of digging! How about “ever start several projects and wonder if you could finish them all”? My style is more “one project at a time”, but I’m in pretty deep on both of these projects so it is too late to turn back now!
Not that I mind, I like to plant and re-plant.
But I’m going to need some cooperation from Mother Nature, soon. See below, the spirea are starting to sprout. I want to move them soon. I need to move them soon if I am to save them. But the soil needs to dry out, a lot.
Any other ideas?